If you have sustained an injury that was caused by another person’s wrongful behavior, you may be entitled to a financial settlement or compensation. A trustworthy personal injury lawyer can help determine if you can win damages in court, though there are certain facts you must prove to obtain a favorable result. Likewise, you need to keep the statute of limitations in mind.
In Massachusetts, the statute of limitations for filing a civil action for a personal injury is three years from the date of the injury. But like all statutes, this one is full of nuances, and only an experienced attorney who speaks with you directly about the facts and circumstances of your case can tell you the specific date by which you must file any claim in court.
Personal injury cases are usually based on proof of:
- Negligence – where the defendant failed to act with reasonable care and that negligence caused an injury to you.
- Intentional tort – where the defendant purposefully injured you, such as in a fist fight.
- Strict liability – where the claimant need only show that some person or company’s action resulted in the claimant’s injury, regardless of whether that person or company acted prudently or intentionally.
There are many different aspects of an injury for which you may claim damages. Medical bills are the most obvious, but you can also be compensated for lost wages, future lost wages, and pain and suffering, including psychological and emotional suffering. Filing a lawsuit in court can be complicated, so you need someone with experience in the field to look out for your interests.
You should considering hiring a lawyer because:
- They have the experience to assess if you are eligible for compensation.
- Most lawyers only collect a fee in these kinds of cases if you win the case, though you may be responsible for paying up front costs.
- A lawyer will be able to handle your complicated legal matter so that you can focus on recovering from your injuries.
- A lawyer will know if it’s better for you to settle out of court or to take the case before a judge or a jury.
If you or a loved one suffers injuries arising from an accident, and the fault is someone else’s, you may be eligible for compensation for your medical bills, loss of income and more. An experienced personal injury lawyer will represent your interests and help secure all the evidence necessary to mount a strong case.
Reasons to Hire an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney, FindLaw